Cancer is one of the most ancient illnesses that is still prevalent in today’s time and remains incurable. It is the common cause of mortality today and is a serious threat to humans.
With the development of various complex types of cancer, the growth of science has also enabled some treatment techniques that can help significantly in managing the serious symptoms of the disease.
The development of the field of oncology was also a valuable gateway to the treatment of this illness. Oncology has enabled cancer studies and has provided many answers to this complex disease.
Thanks to oncology, cancer treatment is feasible around the world and has evolved remarkably. When it comes to the treatment of cancers, India is one of the most preferred destinations for medical tourism due to many reasons.
In this blog, we have named some of the best oncologists in India for your cancer therapy, along with their experiences, achievements, and expertise. Keep reading till the end!
What Is the Field of Oncology?
Oncology is a field of study that is interested in the study, diagnosis, treatment, and management of various types of cancers. The word ‘once’ refers to bulk or tumor, and ‘logy’ means the study. Hence, oncology is the study of tumors.
An individual specializing in treating patients with different cancers is referred to as an oncologist, oncology specialist, or cancer specialist.
Who Are The Different Types Of Oncology Specialists?
Due to the variations in the disease of cancer, many people choose various branches or subspecialties in the field of oncology according to their inzerests and the scope of the field. Some examples of different types of oncologists are:
- Medical Oncologists: They use techniques such as chemotherapy, immunotherapy, and targeted therapy to deal with cancerous cells.
- Surgical Oncologists: Surgical oncologists focus on extracting the cancerous tissue with the help of a surgical intervention.
- Radiation Oncologists: These oncologists use radiation therapy to kill cancerous cells using high X-rays.
- Neurological Oncologists: They specialize in the treatment of cancers of the brain, spine, and nervous system.
- Pediatric Oncologists. Pediatric Oncologists focus on treating and managing cancers that are more commonly diagnosed in children than adults.
- Gynecologic Oncologists: They focus on treating and managing cancers affecting females.
What Is The Role Of An Ideal Oncologist?
An oncologist is a specialized doctor for the treatment of various types of cancer. The role of an ideal oncologist revolves around providing holistic care to the patients throughout the treatment process.
Usually, the work of an oncologist begins from the stage of diagnosis. By analyzing the symptoms of the patient, the oncologist advises them to take tests that may determine if they have cancer.
After the diagnosis, the oncology specialist provides all the information to the patient
about the treatment options and choices and has to figure out the best option according to the needs of the patient, their health, and other crucial factors.
Then, the oncologist should provide quality care to their patients and support. They must also ensure that the patients trust them and should build a sense of optimism in them.
After the whole treatment, an ideal oncologist may also help the patient manage any symptoms and side effects that may arise after the therapy.
These are some of the most vital features that all ideal oncologists must have to fulfill their role.
Best Oncologists In India To Avail Effective Cancer Therapy
Oncology is a wide branch that deals with the therapy of various cancers. Considering the broad variety of specializations and high scope of the field, many doctors specialize in this field.
To help you choose the ideal cancer specialist for yourself or your loved ones, we have listed the names of some of the best oncologists in India below for your reference. We hope it allows you to make the right choice!
Dr. Vinod Raina
- With a vast venture of 37 years in treating patients with various cancers, Dr. Vinod Kumar is one of the most renowned Medical Oncologists based in Gurugram, India.
- In the last two decades, he has successfully performed 600 transplants for diverse cancers and about 250 allotransplants in India.
- He is associated with various reputed medical institutes in the country and is the first doctor in India to perform high-dose chemotherapy in India.
- Some of his interests and specializations include the treatment of pediatric chemotherapy, lung cancer, prostate cancer, breast cancer, concurrent bio-radiotherapy, and palliative bio-chemotherapy.
Dr. Yogesh Kulkarni
- Dr. Yogesh Kulkarni is a reputed Surgical Oncologist based in Mumbai, India, widely recognized in Gynecological Oncosurgery.
- He has been practicing successfully for over 16 years and has performed over 1,000 complex gynecological cancer surgeries successfully throughout his career.
- He has also successfully performed 140 robotic surgeries for endometrial and cervical cancers and is the first doctor to perform fertility-sparing surgery on a year-old girl.
- His areas of expertise include Gynecologic oncology and robotic gynae oncosurgery.
Dr. Ramesh Sarin
- Based in New Delhi, India, Dr. Ramesh Sarin is a highly qualified Surgical Oncologist with more than 40 years of experience in the field.
- Some of her medical interests and specializations include breast cancer, breast diseases, sentinel node biopsy, all types of breast reconstructive surgeries, and surgical management.
- She is also a recognized researcher in the field of oncology and has been acknowledged with various awards, including a Gold Medal Award at the 33rd Annual Surgeons Meeting in the year 1982.
Dr. Vikram Pratap Singh
- Having a rich knowledge of more than 35 years, Dr. Vikram Pratap Singh is one of the most refined Surgical Oncologists based in New Delhi, India.
- He has been awarded various awards for his valuable contribution to the field, including the Mani Gold Medal for his work on rural health in 1974.
- Some of his interests include stereotactic radiotherapy & radiosurgery, Image-Guided Radiotherapy (IGRT), 3 D brachytherapy, clinical oncology, modern radiation techniques, Intensity Modulated Radiotherapy (IMRT), Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy (SBRT), and many other specialized procedures.
Dr. Sameer Kaul
- Dr. Sameer Kaul is a distinguished Surgical Oncologist based in New Delhi, India, practicing successfully for the past 26 years.
- He has gained vast knowledge through his medical career and has received diverse merit scholarships from the Government of India, Ministry of Education & Social Welfare, etc.
- He is an expert in conducting medical surgeries such as surgeries of the GI, soft tissue & bone, head & neck, breast, genitourinary, and thorax-related tumors.
- He also conducts clinical research on the popularization of innovative medical techniques in the field of oncology.
Hence, oncology is a special branch of medicine that studies various cancers and provides treatment for them.
Many cancer patients across the globe travel to other destinations to avail themselves of the best treatment according to their needs.
India is also among the most popular choices for cancer patients worldwide for many reasons. The treatment offered in India is significantly reasonable and cheaper than the treatment offered in most European countries.
The advanced technology and experienced doctors in India are also a few reasons why it is the best location for cancer treatment worldwide.
To help you with your decision, we have mentioned the names of the best oncologists in India above in this blog. We hope it gives you a better idea of making the ideal choice!